Tuesday 7 August 2012

Andy's List...

And the next list Andrew Campbell (@cleansed2009) playwright, actor, director!  He's also graciously told us why, in his own words, what these films mean to him.


Alice in Wonderland (Disney, 1951, Clyde Geronimi/Wilfred Jackson/Hamilton Luske):
This was a film I remember watching and loving when I was kid.  It's anarchy amused and inspired me.  This along with Yellow Submarine hugely influenced my later love of subversion, mind altering drugs and colourful camp.

Batman: Mask of The Phantasm (1993, Eric Radomski & Bruce W. Timm):
Was bought this on VHS when I was about eight/nine for my birthday.  Watched it on a loop.  One of my friends came into the room while I was watching it and I just ignored them.  It's the first time I remember being utterly engrossed by a film.  Deeply flawed but I still love its atmosphere and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Night of The Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero):
First time I remember having my stomach-turned by a film.  I was young and channel four where having a 'controversial season'.  I stayed up late to watch this one expecting a dated old horror movie.  What I got terrified me and the ending is still totally harrowing.

Natural Born Killers (1994, Oliver Stone):
Simply put I didn't know cinema could look like this.  After seeing it I was kept up all night trying to decipher it's morality, trying to work out why and how someone could make a film like that.  Seems naive now but my head was literally buzzing, like a MDMA rush.   

Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors (1987, Chuck Russell)
One of the funniest horror movies ever! Is it cinematically important.  NO!  But it's the closest to an EC comic book come to life.  It's camp horror at its finest.  Killer televisions, giant serpents, walking skeletons, portals to hell unleashed by a topless-tounge-flicking nurse.  A thousand times yes.

Tokyo Story (1953, Yasujiro Ozu):
On the opposite end of the scale I am ashamed to say I only saw this very recently.  I don't give a rat's ass about how  'important' this film is, it is one of the most moving films ever made.  All the better for it's lack of sentimentality and slow pace. Its a movie that forces to ponder on death, and not Hollywood death, but cold, lonely and unforgiving death.  Wonderful.  

The Devils (1971, Ken Russell):
A colourful bombast. An angry and gloriously disrespectful look on religion.  It gives the Catholic church all the respect it deserves.  None.  Jesus has his wounds licked out, nuns wank off candles and the system conspires to kill an innocent man midst an outrageous camp and idiotic system ruled by idiots and psychopaths.  Organised religion has never been so honestly portrayed. 

Some Like it Hot (1959, Billy Wilder):
Nuff said.  Wonderful, funny, hilarious and best of all warm and human.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001, John Cameron Mitchell):
See above. A sympathetic look at trans people, a funny mocking of the 'rock opera' and a tragic look at the impossibility of completeness through love. 

Irreversible (2002, Gaspar Noe) :
Nihilism comes to the screen.  Unflinching in it's approach, utterly unforgettable and unapologetic.  There is no God, the universe does not care about you, and the laws of the jungle rule.  Sums it up really.  A true cinematic 'experience'.


No comments:

Post a Comment