Saturday 11 August 2012

Nolan Zebra 3's List...

We now have the great film critic Nolan Zebra 3 (@nolanzebra3) - we're sure that's not his real name - and his great list.  Be sure to check out his blog too!  Apologies about the way these appear on screen.  We're trying to fix it.  If you can't read it, let us know and we'll send you the lists.


Right everyone is moaning aboot the #Sightsoundpoll top ten movies. It’s so subjective, are my favourite films in my top “greatest” movie list? Couple are but despite my love fir The Evil Dead, Fletch, 1969, Dirty Harry and Batman Returns  I’d struggle tae argue the case for them in a greatest film of all time list.
So at the moment here is my top ten….(liable tae change in a day or two)
THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939, Victor Fleming):
Simply a masterpiece. I could say its wonderful, but I won’t (but it is)
CASABLANCA (1942, Michael Curtiz):
Almost the perfect movie. A brilliant script, direction and great performances.
THE ODD COUPLE (1968, Gene Saks):
A work of genius. The best comedy ever! Perfect.
PANS LABYRINTH (2006, Guillermo Del Toro):
Stunning fantasy from Guillermo Del Toro. Beautiful, horrific, frightening.
THE DIRTY DOZEN (1967, Robert Aldrich):
The best “boys own” style world war two movie. Great cast, action packed. Magic.
JAWS (1975, Steven Spielberg):
The original summer blockbuster. Saw it in the cinema couple months back fir the first time. Still brilliant.
THE LADYKILLERS (1955, Alexander Mackendrick):
Ealings finest. A master class in comedy acting.
ZODIAC (2007, David Fincher):
My favourite Fincher movie. Perfectly paced, shot, acted.
GOODFELLAS (1990, Martin Scorsese):
Never mind The Godfather, this is the greatest mob movie.
STAND BY ME (1985, Rob Reiner):
Classic coming of age drama. Wonderful.
HONOURABLE MENTIONS: DEAD MAN’S SHOES (2004, Shane Meadows) & THE MALTESE FALCON (1941, John Huston).
As I said its a subjective thing so I don’t expect anyone tae agree but that is part of living in a democratic society. And I’m right and you’re wrong. Cheers for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment